Happy 5th Birthday Twitter!
Just 5 years ago today one of the cofounders of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, sent the very first tweet. Since then, business has been booming! Today there are nearly 140 million tweets sent every day. Seems like he must have been on to something. If you haven’t joined the twitter trend here are some reasons why you should.
1. Connect with Professors: May professors these days are adding twitter tags to their “contact me” portion of the sylabus. Don’t hesitate to use this method for quick questions or compliments you might have about the course. A tweet reading “I really enjoyed today’s lecture.”- can never be a bad thing.
2. Network with Professionals: Twitter is one of the fastest growing ways to network. Did you do community service for a class? Make friends with the organization on twitter! Spend your summer interning for an awesome company? Keep them in your twitter contacts. Twitter will keep the connection fresh and you never know when you might need them.
3. Virtual Job Shadowing- Twitter is a great way to see what your major will actually entail. Find a twitter user that currently works in that profession. Reading their tweets will give you insight to what their day-to-day lives are like.
4. Get Deals and Discounts- If you’re in college I guess we can assume that your not completely loaded with money. There are several Organizations you can follow on twitter that will notify you of stellar deals in your area. Many local restaurants will offer deals and tweet them out to their followers so make sure to get in on this. 50% of pizza can totally make a study group bearable.
5. Stay in touch with your college- Most colleges and universities now have a presence on twitter so you’ll be able to receive relevant tweets to your particular campus. Make sure you don’t miss out on campus activities or notifications by following your school.
6. Collaborate on Group projects- We’ve all been there before. You’re assigned a group project and you all need to collaborate outside of the classroom but you’re not so sure you want them all to have your phone number or be friends on Facebook? A twitter name swap is much less committal and just as easy to use as a simple text message.
7. We’re on Twitter! …and you should follow us. @MyColleges
For other stellar collegiate tweeps check out our list the Top 35 College Twitter Feeds.