Time management is literally THE MOST IMPORTANT THING you can learn to do in college. Here are my tips for balancing school and fun:
- You want to start on your homework when you get back from class. Try to get as much of it done before dinner because in college a lot of the fun stuff, parties, and activities happen. You don’t wanna miss out on the fun college nights because you haven’t done your homework yet! Get it done earlier and you’ll be glad you did.
- Keep track of your grades in your classes. All colleges are different. Some give grades, some will let you ask your professor for your prgress, & some will have you search online for how you are doing. Make sure you don’t figure out halfway through the semester that you are failing a class!
- Don’t wear yourself out! Don’t overcommit yourself by signing up for too much or promising to much of your time to others. Know your limit and don’t stretch it. Do what you need to do and what you like to do, everything else can wait. Don’t be afraid to say no because you are overwhelmed.
- If you ever do get too overwhelmed or overcommited, don’t be afraid to go to someone for help. Maybe you need to take less hours. Maybe you need to drop a club. Maybe you need a tutor. Maybe you need to get better organized. Seek someone out on your campus who can help you.
- Do something spontaneous instead of studying/doing your homework!! Know that it’s not the end of the world if you skip a day of class because you and your roommate decided to make a last minute roadtrip to see a concert you just couldn’t bare to miss. College is about making memories on top of getting a better education. Do something unexpected!